Thursday, June 30, 2011

5 day class with Vivienne Mackinder

My time has been somewhat limited, what with the long haul from Florida to New York City. Needless to say, I’m now in the Big Apple.
Before I decided to take this journey, I would often get very flustered looking at fabulous hair styles in magazines, books, and the Internet. Even after hours of studying photos and online tutorials, couldn’t quite figure out how master them; I can’t always grasps the angles or the structure of what they are creating and how on earth they get them to hold.
On one of my late night attempts to master some of these creations (or even just one), I found Vivienne Mackinder. For those you who don’t know, she’s a London-born, world-renowned hairstylist, educator, and all-around incredibly amazing woman. She trained with Vidal Sassoon, Trevor Sorbie and other equally brilliant stylists for years. Vivienne produced and directed the documentary film series, “I’m not just a hairdresser,” is the Editor-in-Chief of MOD magazine and founded hairdesigntv.com (I believe any hair stylist who wants to achieve more knowledge should really consider becoming a member of this site). She has received many awards including the 2009 North American Hair Styling Awards Life Time Achievement award. All those accolades are intimidating!
The instant I enrolled, I was completely nervous (more like scared to death). I knew I had much to learn and I really needed to get out of my comfort zone. As the class approached, I got more and more nervous.
On the first day of class, when I arrived my heart was racing. As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about. There were only two other students—Jean Witte, salon owner and president of Inter Coiffure South Africa, and TJ Weaver, stylist and co-owner of Douglas J Aveda institute and Douglas J salon—so we had lost of one-on-one time with Vivienne. As it turns out I couldn’t have asked for better classmates. They both had great advice and were so helpful, and I haven’t laughed so hard in quite some time.
Viviane’s team is so amazing and so welcoming, they instantly put me at ease. Vivienne’s warm smile radiates kindness and brightens any room she enters. Even after years of doing hair, she still has so much passion for her work. You can feel the excitement in everything she does and speaks about, and she’s so willing to share her knowledge. She is truly one of the most inspiring women I’ve ever met. She definitely sparked a passion for hair I haven’t felt in a long time.
The class was intense. Though it was only five days, Vivienne had a way of squeezing in as much information as possible and keeping things fun just as they were getting tense. I’m surprised I didn’t  frustrate her, like when we were doing a precision start to finish razor cut (by the way, I did learn how to correctly use a razor).
I can’t possibly list everything I took away from this class; remember the finger wave we all hated so much in school? She made it so much easier than it had ever been. I learned more ways of back combing than I ever knew existed. I know I’ve said this many times before, but I have to say once again how important ongoing education is. I know there are so many things I need to learn. Even though I learned so much in this class, it just reemphasized how much more there is to learn about my profession.

1 comment:

  1. You have laughed that hard since you were with me last! Ha!

    ReplyDelete